What a beautiful time of year to enjoy family and friends. Unfortunately, along with the excitement of planning, comes two unwanted crashers – stress & depression. It is a very easy time of year to slip into bad habits & yes – turn to addictions. Please join us this Thursday, December 23, 2010, or anytime after for replay, with Dr. Hal Urschel – addiction recovery psychiatrist. This will be Dr. Urschel’s third time with us on the show. If you missed Dr. Urschel’s first two shows with us – please go and listen! September 2 on drug & alcohol addiction recovery and October 28 on smoking cessation.
Overindulgence seems to be the theme for holiday stress reduction – which we know logically is the very worse possible response – because it leads to further stress. The response of overindulgence is even more dangerous for the addict. The role of the loved one is to make sure that any addict stays focused on recovery. Dr. Urschel is going to guide us as to how we can help with this very challenging task.
Dr. Urschel has shared with us before – the top lifestyle killers out there are smoking & alcohol. The tragic part is – most of these addictions go untreated – and they are very treatable! And then…we have the ultimate ticking holiday atomic bomb – drinking and driving. According to Dr. Urschel:
- More people drink during the holidays due to numerous parties and other festivities.
- Many holiday drinkers don’t drink often, so they have a lower alcohol tolerance. These people often underestimate their level of impairment and sometimes even drive when they shouldn’t. When arrested for drunk driving, these people often show a relatively low blood alcohol content yet they are very intoxicated.
- Problem drinkers and alcoholics love the holidays because there are more social occasions to drink. They say they feel more “normal” because the occasional drinkers are also more likely to abuse alcohol during this time of year. Consequently, people with alcoholism drink and drive more frequently. Unlike occasional drinkers, they have a high tolerance for alcohol and can consume large amounts before showing effects.
- The holidays are busy and stressful. People are hurrying more than normal and winter road conditions make driving more dangerous. Add alcohol to this scenario and you have a recipe for disaster.
Cigarette smoking, drugs & alcohol are all physiological addictions. They must be treated this way otherwise recovery is tenuous at best. Dr. Urschel will share with us all the new hope we have for addicts & their families.
1. We now have a shot to treat alcoholism. It lasts for 30 days and during that time you can’t get drunk on it.
2. Also, we have a truly miraculous medication to treat heroin and prescription pain pill addiction.
3. We also have a revolutionary treatment to treat methamphetamine and cocaine addiction, now.
Unfortunately denial is the chosen treatment option for most addicts & their family. Clearly we know – this is a deadly option – not just for the addict but often for innocent victims. As I always say – there is NO BETTER WAY TO SHOW LOVE for someone than to contribute to their health. When you save an addict – you are also saving who knows how many other people – loved ones & innocent people who happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Please assure that anyone you know with addictions, or their families – listen to Dr. Urschel.
All the best for a happy, HEALTHY holiday season.
And…my wish for you, as always….May you get at least 60 minutes of exercise today!